Been to Bar Harbor? If not, it’s one of those must-see places to visit before you die. If yes, you’ll agree with the previous statement. Bar Harbor delivers big on all the charm, beauty, and history that so many New England coastal towns are famous for.
Once you’ve decided to make the journey to Maine, rest assured that the beautiful New England weather isn’t a bother thanks to Del Sol’s fun-in-the-sun clothing and accessories. Be sure to pick up a custom Del Sol Bar Harbor shirt (only available in Bar Harbor) when you arrive. Just a little plug for Del Sol, but an honest one at that.
The Del Sol store is located on historic Main Street in the center of town right next to the Cariloha store. You can’t miss it if you’re walking and shopping on Main Street in Bar Harbor.
Top 5 Things to Have Fun in the Sun in Bar Harbor
1. Watch the sunset on Cadillac Mountain. Part of Acadia National Park, which you won’t want to miss if visiting Bar Harbor.
2. Listen to the Waves at Thunder Hole – Another must see in Acadia National Park.
3. Take a Walk to Bar Island During Low Tide – It’s a Bar Harbor namesake and a must-see attraction. In the morning, the entire sand bar is covered in water and by late afternoon it’s exposed so that cars, pedestrians, and dogs can walk across to Bar Island. Be sure to head back before the tide rolls in or else you’ll be swimming back.
4. Entertain Your Family at Diver Ed’s Dive in Theater. Diver Ed’s Dive-In Theater is a 2-hour scenic boat ride out into Frenchman Bay in Acadia National Park, where Diver Ed and his sidekick “Mini Ed” dive down to the ocean floor with real-time video and sound equipment, allowing you to see and hear the ocean floor from the comfort of the deck. Captain Evil remains topside to interpret and explain, until Diver Ed resurfaces with critters in tow! Touch tanks allow you to see, feel, and even kiss the actual animals themselves before returning them to their habitat and returning home.
5. Experience the Best of Bar Harbor Fare. Try out Michelle’s Bistro for a delicious patio breakfast of blueberry pancakes. Take the entire family to Geddy’s for great Maine lobster and fried seafood. Don’t miss the homemade ice cream at Ben & Bills, where they make their own ice cream and fudge, and they even sell lobster ice cream. USA Today selected Ben & Bill’s as the best ice cream parlor in Maine.
Bonus Cool Attractions
6. Ride the Margaret Todd Schooner. It’s a family friendly adventure that lets you raise and lower the sails and search for whales, seals, etc. Read more about the Margaret Todd here.
7. Go Sea Kayaking at Night. An amazing experience that a lot of people say is the highlight of their vacation. At night, you’ll see more stars and constellations than you’ve probably ever seen in your life. You may even see bio-luminescent algae, which is a bonus for kayaking at night. Due to the activity of light producing microorganisms in the water the movement of the boats and paddles through the water will produce a bright silvery blue glow all around you. Visit this Acadia National Park kayaking site to book a kayaking tour.
These are merely a few good options (plus two bonus ones) to get you started. You may have five others up your sleeve that are much more exciting. Don’t keep them all to yourself. Please share in the comments.